Food Drive COVID-19 Protocol
Since March 2020, all food drives were cancelled due to the pandemic. We are now finding ways for organizations to host a food drive following COVID-19 protocol.
The Friends in Need is still in a lockdown mode operating with a skeleton crew of volunteers, so we ask you to work with us in ensuring your food drive happens
in a safe manner and is delivered to the food bank in such a way that it can be handled efficiently.
Following are some simple steps you can take to make your food drive a success and help those in need.
- Call the Friends in Need to schedule your food drive and provide the following information. What are your dates? What is the organization hosting the food drive? Who is the contact person with their contact information? What is the location?
- Arrange to pick up or have dropped off a donation bin for the collection of non-perishables. It will have our sign and "MOST WANTED LIST" attached to give your participants (donors) an idea of what we need. To be safe, when handling the donated food, wear a mask and gloves.
- Take pictures of your participants and the bounty you collect. We like to shine a light on your efforts by posting on Facebook.
- Assess the amount of food collected and arrange for delivery or pickup.
- When dropping off, you must schedule a date and time as we are still in a lockdown and protocol must be followed. Whoever is delivering the donations to the food bank, use the back-bay door of Unit #8, 22726 Dewdney Trunk Road, Maple Ridge. Best access is off 119th across from the bowling alley.
- Gloves and a mask must be worn by all when dropping off the donations. Our staff and volunteers will be there to assist with the unloading.
- Food collected will be weighed and recorded.
- If you have scheduled a time for pickup, please stage your donations in one location, protected from the weather, and our team will pick them up, take them back to the food bank where they will be weighed & recorded.
Thank you for your cooperation.